Whether you are a plumbing pro or a complete novice, you probably know that plumbing supplies can be awfully expensive. However, supplies for plumbing do not have to break the bank. By taking advantage of the following 5 tips, you can get the plumbing supplies you need and save some money in the process:
1. Start by doing your homework. If you know exactly what supplies for plumbing you need, you will be able to comparison shop. That way, you are not bound to one specific manufacturer. After all, it may charge much more than the others!
And, instead of just relying on the brand you have always bought, actually learn about the plumbing supplies you need – what they do, how they work, and what sizes you need. Then, you will be able to look at several different manufacturers and get the best price.
2. Head to industrial supply houses. They do not feature the marked-up prices that your local hardware store has. Industrial supply houses are chock full of replacement plumbing supplies, but if you need something that they do not have, the can order it quickly. These supply houses have great relationships with manufacturers, so you will get a good price. You will also get a solid product warranty – which can save you money down the road if something goes wrong with your plumbing supplies later.
And, if you can’t find any industrial supply houses in your area, head online. There are plenty of stores on the world wide web that can offer you a great deal on all of your supplies for plumbing – without spending a fortune.
3. If you are in the market for a replacement toilet lid, call around to some plumbers in your area. It may seem counterintuitive, but this is one area where professional plumbers may actually be able to offer you the best deal. Many of them get replacement toilet lids for free, and they wind up just sitting around, taking up space. That means plumbers are usually looking to get rid of them – and cheaply.
As an added benefit, replacement toilet lids are one of the easiest plumbing supplies to buy. All you need is the right color and size, and you are good to go!
4. If you are remodeling or custom building your home, do not get too complicated when it comes to your plumbing. If you can, position kitchens and bathrooms in such a way that they share drains, vents, and supply pipes. That way, you will not have to buy double the plumbing supplies! A great way to make the most out of your plumbing supplies? Install your plumbing fixtures along one or two walls.
5. Have a way to do easy plumbing repair jobs yourself. Having basic tools, like wrenches, pliers, and pipe cutters, can save you valuable money. When something breaks, you can handle the repair yourself – instead of calling in a costly pro to do the job for you.
By saving some money on easy repairs, it will be easier to upgrade your plumbing supplies later. For example, fancier faucets are much easier to justify buying when you’ve gone out of your way to save money on other supplies!